From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] new profile layout with flavors and mix-ins
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 15:44:25
1 All,
2
3 I'm moving to a new thread since the discussion has moved away from just
4 a sub profile for no-multilib.
5
6 On Wed, Jul 02, 2014 at 09:30:50AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
7 > On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Andreas K. Huettel
8 > <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
9 > > Am Mittwoch 25 Juni 2014, 15:11:40 schrieb Rich Freeman:
10 > >> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
11 > >> > Long story short, doing anything to Gentoo profiles is utter pain
12 > >> > and comes with random breakage guarantee. Therefore, I'm asking -- nuke
13 > >> > those damn profiles, and start over! The current situation is
14 > >> > completely unmaintainable.
15 > >>
16 > >> ++
17 > >>
18 > >> But, would it make sense to just go the Funtoo route with "mix-ins."
19 > > ++
20 > >
21 > > this is what we've been just discussing on the irc channel
22 >
23 > So, not wanting this to die on the vine.
24 >
25 > If we did the mix-in approach, would we just follow the example of Funtoo?
26 >
27 > They use an arch profile, a stability profile (~arch vs arch), a
28 > "flavor" profile (core, minimal, desktop), and then users can layer as
29 > much other stuff on top of that as they want (gnome, kde, multimedia,
30 > etc).
31
32 I think this could work for us as well, or something similar anyway.
33
34 For those who are curious, I am including the link to the flavors and
35 mix-ins descriptions from the funtoo site. [1]
38 > Do we want to do things the same way?
39 >
40 > Some things to think about include multilib (just another arch?),
41 > systemd, and usr-merge. I'm not saying that we need to implement any
42 > of that stuff completely - but when planning the profile layout we
43 > should at least consider whether it will handle things like this in
44 > the future. Should some types of profiles be only additive? Etc...
45
46 I see systemd and multilib as mix-ins, like the ones you mentioned
47 above.
48
49 It is funny that you mention usr-merge. I don't want to get into a big
50 debate on it on this thread, so for now I'll just say that I don't see
51 that as affecting the profile structure at all.
52
53 William
54
55 [1] http://www.funtoo.org/Flavors_and_Mix-ins