From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] use.force as a complement to use.mask in profiles
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 18:15:52
1 On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 10:57:55 -0700 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | It does seem appealing to unify the package.use.mask and
4 | package.use.force functionality into a single file that acts like
5 | package.mask with use-deps support. If we do it this way, devs won't
6 | be able to start using package.use.mask until a new implementation is
7 | ready. AFAIK Paludis already has support for separate
8 | package.use.mask and package.use.force, so they'd have to change
9 | their implementation to be compatible with the new unified format.
10
11 No, we already allow [use] deps in package.mask. It's just that using
12 this in place of {package.,}use.{mask,force} is a really really bad
13 idea and will massively hurt non-x86 users. Getting "all masked" errors
14 for this kind of thing instead of having the package manager handle it
15 is a huge step backwards.
18 Ciaran McCreesh
19 Mail : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list