From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package file name requirement for binary ebuilds
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 13:32:42
1 On Monday, October 17, 2016 9:29:15 PM EDT Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 18:30:44 -0400
3 >
4 > "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > You actually came up with one I was not considering at first but provides
6 > > a
7 > > direct technical benefit you cannot achieve with a USE flag.
8 > >
9 > > > If anything, I'd imagine if that case arose, it would manifest itself
10 > > > more
11 > > >
12 > > > as:
13 > > > icedtea-bin + USE=official
14 > >
15 > > Then how would you test that against non official? You cannot install the
16 > > same package twice at the same time with different USE flags. You can't
17 > > even make binaries easily of the same package with different USE flags.
18 > > The previous binary will get overwritten.
19 >
20 > You know you can make that argument about *every* useflag right? Being
21 > unable to test with one and the other co-installed?
22
23 Did you see the comment where portage has this function now?
24
25 > What are the benefits.
26
27 Knowing what you are getting in seconds, made by whom.
28
29 > If Upstream and Gentoo both provide binary releases, but the Gentoo one
30 > sucks, we should just abolish the Gentoo one.
31 >
32 > If Upstream and Gentoo both provide binary releases, but upstreams
33 > sucks, then we should not ship the upstream version.
34
35 What if you simply just do not know who made the binary?
38 William L. Thomson Jr.