From: Mike Doty <uberslacks@×××××.com>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Handling multiple packages providing the same convenience symlink
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 18:32:01
1 [snip]
2 > Something like:
3 >
4 > # eselect --set vi vim
5 > # eselect --set kernel linux-2.6.7
6 > # eselect --set gcc sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-3.3.4
7 >
8 > and:
9 >
10 > # eselect --list kernel
11 > linux-2.6.7 (*)
12 > linux-2.6.8.1
13 > linux-2.6.10_rc1
14 >
15 > and:
16 >
17 > # eselect --list
18 > gcc sparc-unknown-linux-gnu-3.3.4
19 > kernel: linux-2.6.7
20 > vi: /usr/bin/vim
21 >
22 > could be rather cool. So... I guess the question really is, is it worth
23 > making all this generic and flexible, or is it simpler to just keep the
24 > current collection of blah-config tools and make more as needed? Can we
25 > nick any ideas from the Debian system? Will this idea still look good
26 > when I haven't had large numbers of girly foofoo drinks?
29 drink some more girly foofoo drinks, I think "eselect" is a great idea.
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list