From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Xmms needs to die.
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 17:50:41
1 Robert Cernansky wrote:
2 > On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 19:34:27 +0200 Andrej Kacian <ticho@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:42:27 +0200
5 >> Robert Cernansky <hslists2@××××××.sk> wrote:
6 > [...]
7 >> mpd (and xmms2) is just a server that is responsible for music playback,
8 >> functionality such as xosd notification can be provided by clients, one
9 > [...]
10 >> Many xmms plugins I saw are frontend-related. This can be handled by
11 >> MPD clients. One of main clients, gmpc, recently added plugin support,
12 >> and already plugins for album covers or song lyrics are available.
13 > [...]
14 >>> Also I read that it is not possible to play file without addind it to
15 >>> mpd's database.(?) It seems to be clumsy.
16 >> This is mainly because mpd is designed to run remotely, i.e. not on
17 >> your desktop - clients connect via TCP, so they have no idea about the
18 >> filesystem on box where mpd runs.
19 >>
20 >> There are plans to allow this exact functionality via URIs in
21 >> format: "file://".
22 >
23 > So, I've tried mpd plus mpc, gmpc, glurp and kmp clients. I must say
24 > I don't like it. _Mainly_ because that database thing - sorry but the
25 > playlist management is worse than I expected. I want simply _freely_
26 > browse my filesystem, pickup an .m3u file and play it.
27 >
28 > I find it very limiting that I cannot play file from any
29 > location. That I have to copy it to "music" directory and rebuild the
30 > database. What about removable media?
31 >
32 > Another big disadvantage is that it cannot play Audio CD's.
33 >
34 > Behavior in multi-user environment is also bad. There is only one
35 > daemon, so imagine that I'll take a break from my work, pause the
36 > player, lock my screen and go to pub for an hour. Another user can log
37 > in and work, and listen the music. But he will have loaded same
38 > playlist, paused as I left it. So he loads its own and listen, but it
39 > will break also my player status and when I return, I'll find his
40 > playlist in my player.
41 >
42 > Sure, it can be solved by running separate instance of mpd by user but
43 > then it is too complicated way just to play music.
44 >
45 > In general, I thing there is no really good client for mpd. I can
46 > imagine that it is possible to start mpd by client, transparently for
47 > user. That this database disadvantages can be hidden by a client so
48 > work with files will be easy and straightforward like in xmms. That it
49 > will have plugin support and more features so things like xosd, handy
50 > disk-writer plugin, effect plugins, tag editing,... will not be
51 > missed.
52 >
53 > Many features are planned, but it takes time to get into real life.
54 >
55 > Btw, something like effect plugin (for example voice removal) belongs
56 > to server or client?
57 >
58 >> Also, mpd has gapless output by default, iirc.
59 >
60 > It does not wor for me, gaps are there. I only found Crossfade option
61 > in kmp client.
62 >
63 > Robert
66 My answer to this ENTIRE thread is to STOP wasting time complaining,
67 whining and nagging and write the code.
68
69 That's my answer to 99% of the threads on this mailing list. If people
70 spent 1/2 the time writing code as they do bitching. The problem would
71 be solved.In the end the people who are actually willing to write the
72 code or do the work get so worn out by these threads that they don't
73 care and aren't interested in writing the code anymore. Then nothing
74 gets done.
75
76 This is what happened with xmms development. Which is why it stagnated.
77 But it's happened in Gentoo before and it will happen again (i.e.
78 gtk/gtk2 USE flag issue)
81 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
82 http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/