From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] DNSSEC (w/ DLV) live on *.dev.gentoo.org
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 04:01:52
1 On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 7:31 PM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 > Just a heads up,
3 >
4 > DNSSEC is now live on *.dev.gentoo.org hosts.
5
6 So for those that had to look up some or all of what Robin mentioned,
7 I'll summarize below.
10 > There is a DLV anchor registered at dlv.isc.org, so all public DNSSEC
11 > lookups within the domain should work fine.
12
13 DLV allows you to break out of the traditional each parent needs to be
14 signed and has an aside database that can confirm a specific node.
15 Very useful when the TLD didn't support signing or if a DNS provider
16 you use doesn't support DNSSEC. Stands for DNSSEC Lookaside
17 Validation.
20 > Here's visualisation on my two test cases:
21 > http://dnsviz.net/d/dev.gentoo.org/dnssec/
22 > http://dnsviz.net/d/mv78100.arm.dev.gentoo.org/dnssec/
23 >
24 > If there are no problems reported in a week or two, I'm going to enable
25 > this for the rest of our DNS zones, as well as registering the DS
26 > records with the TLD.
27
28 Basically getting rid of the need for the DLV and having the whole
29 chain signed from the root down to each domain.
32 > Thereafter, I'd also like to deploy DANE and SSH
33 > fingerprints in DNS, and remove our reliance any elements of the CA
34 > chain.
35
36 SSH supports a specific record called SSHFP which stores the hosts key
37 for validation. To against it when it enabled you should be able to do
38 something like:
39
40 $ ssh dev.gentoo.org -o VerifyHostKeyDNS=yes
41
42 DANE is DNS-based Authentication of Named Entities. Looks like its a
43 working group to add more public keys into DNS and get applications or
44 protocols to support it.
47 > I haven't implemented NSEC3 by way of a conscious choice. I don't see
48 > the need for any private information in our DNS records - simply
49 > obscuring them isn't really security.
50
51 NSEC3 is related to exposing the entities in your whole DNS record.
52 With DNSSEC you end up getting the whole zone to verify that its
53 signed. This has the side effect if you had www.mycompany.com but you
54 also had secret.mycompany.com, with DNSSEC your hostname secret would
55 be reveled as existing. NSEC3 attempts to mitigate this.
56
57 For more info on everything see:
58 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System_Security_Extensions
59 >
60 > --
61 > Robin Hugh Johnson
62 > Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead
63 > E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
64 > GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
67 Excellent job getting us DNSSEC support btw!
70 Doug Goldstein