From: John Robinson <strider@××××××.net>
To: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@××××××××.cx>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:44:28
1 I really avoid getting into discussions like this, on the whole, but I
2 think a couple of key observations can help clear this up. I think the
3 problem lies in understanding what Stallman's "GNU system" and "GNU
4 foundation" are, and how they differ.
5
6 >>Because of this decision, the GNU system is not the same as the
7 >>collection of all GNU software. The GNU system includes programs that
8 >>are not GNU software, programs that were developed by other people and
9 >>projects for their own purposes, but which we can use because they are
10 >>free software." - Richard Stallman
11 >>(http://www.gnu.org/gnu/thegnuproject.html)
12 [...]
13 > This is as morally reprehensible as SCO's claim that anything any of their
14 > licensees wrote for their Unix distributions is part of Unix.
15 [...]
16 > Stallman's claiming credit for all of Linux, anywhere it appears, just
17 > as SCO is climing credot for all of AIX, HP-UX, Solaris, and every
18 > other proprietary Unix. None of the distributors you cite are doing
19 > that.
20
21 Stallman is saying in his first statement that the GNU system is a
22 collection of software, only some of which was written under the
23 umbrella of the GNU foundation, and all of which work together to form
24 an operating environment. The same could be said of Gentoo, etc.; the
25 only difference is that the GNU foundation doesn't technically
26 distribute the whole "GNU system": they only define it. What Stallman
27 _isn't_ saying is that all of the software in the GNU system is "GNU
28 software" (software written by members of or contributors to the GNU
29 foundation). Some of it isn't even licensed with the GNU license (though
30 it's probably all compatible).
31
32 Seriously, though: the word GNU is used to label two similar but
33 independent entities here. It's an easy thing to misunderstand; it isn't
34 exactly spelled out in the snippets we've had presented on this list. If
35 Stallman were saying what you, Jay, thought he was (and perhaps still
36 do-- I don't claim to have changed anybody's opinion here), we would all
37 be hard pressed not to be as upset at him as we might be with SCO.
38
39 - John Robinson
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list