From: Roy Marples <roy@×××××××.name>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: brltty not starting early enough
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 12:32:27
1 On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 14:50 -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > brltty is one of our accessibility packages. It is a program that
3 > drives a braille display which is one way a blind person can access the
4 > computer.
5 >
6 > The project's guidelines for linux distributions at http://www.mielke.cc/brltty/guidelines.html suggest starting the program very early in the boot sequence. Ideally, I would like to be able to start brltty as soon as /dev is set up either with udev, devfs, or static.
7 >
8 > There is a new version of brltty which hasn't been put into portage yet,
9 > so I thought now would be a good time to ask about it. How should we
10 > set this up on gentoo? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
11
12 Just make a standard init script for it with this dependency block
13
14 depend() {
15 before checkfs
16 }
17
18 That way it will be run immediately after /dev, /proc and /sys have been
19 brought up and the root fs checked. After that, brltty should launch.
20
21 However, that doesn't work for baselayout-1 as it forces more services
22 to start before hand, but should work as expected in newer versions.
23
24 Thanks
25
26 Roy