From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Requirements for UID/GID management
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 18:53:09
1 On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 12:54 PM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > You don't really have to care what UID/GID is assigned, because each
4 > user/group will only be created once and referenced by name (as $PN). By
5 > default, we could pick the first available UID in most packages.
6
7 I might be not following correctly, but due to how filesystems/etc
8 work it is probably desirable to have consistent UID/GIDs as much as
9 reasonably possible. Things like NFS, chroots, containers, and so on
10 can be a bit simpler if these are consistent, because they involve one
11 system having visibility into a filesystem hosted on another, and
12 usually in these cases the UID/GID is what is kept constant, not the
13 name. (IMO UID/GID namespace is one of those areas where
14 Linux/POSIX/etc has some weaknesses.)
15
16 This doesn't really seem like a problem though. Just have a table
17 somewhere (wiki?) to track who is using what UID/GID and encode those
18 defaults into the ebuild that creates those users.
19
20 Overall I like your proposal.
23 Rich