From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Indention in metadata.xml
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 01:21:53
1 On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 12:26 AM, Justin Lecher (jlec) <jlec@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA512
6 >
7 > Hi everyone,
8 >
9 > Can we get an agreement on how we are indenting metadata.xml?
10 >
11 > I like to properly format and indent metadata.xml, but without having
12 > an agreement or policy on the indention, I make unhappy by choosing
13 > the wrong.
16 I was going to stay out of this, but I want to kind of circle back a bit.
17 You want to 'properly format' the documents. I guess part of my question
18 is, what would you do if the proper format was basically undefined?
19
20 "Properly formatted" XML files isn't really what I consider a goal. Do you
21 have other goals?
22
23 For instance:
24
25 "I would like to standardize on spaces or tabs so that we can better
26 automate the tooling around metadata."
27
28 Or perhaps more clearly:
29
30 "I am writing tools that manipulate metadata.xml; while I can easily ingest
31 metadata.xml, producing the correct output is difficult when spaces or tabs
32 are mixed, can we consistently use one or the other?"
33
34 Or another take:
35
36 "I am trying to write a tool that manipulates metadata.xml and I am having
37 difficulty parsing entries that mix spaces and tabs, please help me."
38
39 Some of these problems are solved by code (I'm pretty sure the latter
40 problem just requires a sane XML parser for instance.) I believe mgorny
41 already provided code that tried to solve problem 2.
42
43 Problem 1 is sufficiently generic that it is hard to solve with a code
44 snippet I think.
45
46 The point is these are all goals other than "I want to standardize on tabs
47 or spaces because I like starting tabs vs spaces flamewars on gentoo-dev."
48 This is not meant to be accusatory; merely that standardizing the format
49 "because" doesn't really solve anything (there is no problem statement.)
50 Perhaps there is an implied statement (consistency is generally better for
51 all parties.) But even that being clearly stated would be nice.
52
53 -A
57 > The two options which are already suggested are
58 >
59 > * 2 spaces
60 > * single tab
61 >