From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] eclass error-handling post-EAPI4
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 15:12:36
1 On 10/19/2012 07:23 AM, Gregory M. Turner wrote:
2 > I'm cooking up some eclass functions and it occurred to me that perhaps
3 > I had some responsibility regarding EAPI4's new error handling
4 > semantics. After looking into it, it seems that, superficially, the
5 > answer to my question is "no, the EAPI4 changes only apply to ebuild
6 > helpers."
7 >
8 > Even so, this got me thinking: if ebuild helpers are going to warn(*) in
9 > EAPI<4 and die in EAPI>=4 (unless somebody used "nonfatal"), then, those
10 > error-handling semantics are going to bubble up through my eclass to its
11 > heirs (assuming my eclass uses helpers).
12
13 Regardless of EAPI, don't call the helpers that die in EAPI 4 unless you
14 want the function to die when the helpers fail, and use helper || die so
15 it behaves the same regardless of EAPI. It's okay to die in older EAPIs,
16 as long as you're not changing the behavior of a previously existing
17 eclass function. Previously existing eclass functions that only start to
18 die in EAPI 4 are okay, since they only start to die when the ebuild
19 developer bumps the EAPI.
20 --
21 Thanks,
22 Zac