From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Improving profiles/profiles.desc and repoman checking
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 20:01:39
1 So, things are a little bit messy right now. We have "stable arches", "arches
2 that are ~arch only (but occasional stable keywords can pop up and be
3 ignored)", "arches that are ~arch only". In addition, some are always checked
4 with repoman, some only with -d or (hic sunt leones) -e flag.
5
6 The latter is controlled in profiles/profiles.desc, which designates *profiles*,
7 not arches, as stable, dev, or exp. I *think* long ago "stable" here was
8 supposed to also indicate that an arch is stable, but that connection is
9 obsolete (and better should be).
10
11 To improve our tree status, below I propose an enhancement for profiles.desc.
12 Compatibility and upgrade are discussed at the end of the mail.
13
14 Proposal:
15 * Introduce a 4th column in profiles.desc
16 * Cosmetically modify the 3rd column
17
18 Meaning and values of the 3rd column:
19 "Does repoman check this profile?"
20 - "stable": yes, same as now, becomes legacy value to be deprecated
21 - "always": yes, same as "stable" now
22 - "dev": only with -d
23 - "exp": only with -e
24
25 Meaning and values of the 4th column:
26 "Does this arch support stable keywords, and how should "arch" vs. "~arch" be
27 treated?"
28 - "stable": separately check consistency of ~arch and arch tree, both have to
29 be OK. This is what repoman is doing now, and is the default if the 4th column
30 is undefined.
31 - "testing": treat "arch" as "~arch" when requiring consistency, do not check
32 "arch" alone. Useful if an arch wants to prepare going stable, useful for arch
33 teams maintaining a pseudo-stable subset for stages. repoman could have a new
34 command line switch that temporarily upgrades from "testing" to "stable" (for
35 arch team work).
36 - "unstable": check "~arch" only, "arch" in an ebuild produces a fatal repoman
37 error
38
39 Compatibility and transition:
40
41 0) Interestingly PMS defines profiles.desc and its fields, but does not say
42 anything how it should be used. This could probably be enhanced with the next
43 PMS version.
44
45 1) Compatibility: Old profiles.desc and new system
46 The missing 4th column is treated as "stable", which is current behaviour.
47
48 2) Compatibility: New profiles.desc and old system
49 A 4th column leads to an error "wrong format" in repoman. This is not so nice,
50 but a pure developer problem (and these can be expected to update repoman).
51 Also gentoolkit displays a backtrace.
52 Testing shows no impact on "emerge" (portage team plz confirm), meaning that
53 broken utilities (repoman, gentoolkit) can be updated to working versions
54 normally.
55
56 3) On introduction of the new column, it can be left empty for the moment.
57 Arches like e.g. mips could eventally move from "dev stable" to "always
58 testing" or "always unstable" to maintain a consistent ~arch deptree and maybe
59 upgrade to stable some day.
62 Opinions, flames, cookies?
63
64 Cheers, Andreas
68 Andreas K. Hüttel
69 dilfridge@g.o
70 Gentoo Linux developer (council, perl, libreoffice)