From: Philippe Trottier <tchiwam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge -U getting removed?
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:02:37
2 >> Yes I know about editing package.keywords, but how much of a PITA is
3 >> that to have to add an entry for every package you emerge that is masked
4 >> for one reason or another.
7 > The pertinent question here, of course, is: are you willing to do
8 > that? I think I know the answer to that already. I'll give you a hint
9 > as to the workload involved there: you'll be getting more bug report
10 > e-mails and forum PMs than you can conceivably read.
11 >
12 > So yeah, I'll burn you at the stake ;-p Be aware that this is the
13 > position held by someone who's been a dev for not that long but who's
14 > been one of the mainstays of the Portage & Programming forum for a
15 > good two years. It's users that "-U" hurts, not devs.
16
17 Anyway for everyone who reads the manual the workaround (or better way
18 to do) is the PORTAGE_OVERLAY copy the ebuild. Put the packages you need
19 there the way you want them. Then again if goes really wrong don't
20 bother the devs...
21
22 Phil
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list