From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 22:14:26
1 On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 22:50:42 +0100
2 Jan Kundrát <jkt@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Friday 04 of November 2005 02:50 Lance Albertson wrote:
5 > > After reading through the heated thread, I have yet to see your
6 > > valid point of pushing xml for such a simple task. All I have seen
7 > > is two 3rd grade kids arguing over a swing set. Please give some
8 > > calm reasons for your opinion instead of voicing things in such a
9 > > heated manner. Making assumptions about someone else's opinions
10 > > gets you no where.
11 >
12 > Well, my point is that our GLSAs and the associated code already
13 > handles stuff very similar to the `emerge --news` idea, namely:
14 >
15 > a) displaying info only for users having affected package
16 > b) support for arch-specific issues
17 > c) version-specific messages
18 > d) instructions on how to make a workaround and how to fix the
19 > problem permanently
20
21 All of these steps are more or less trivial, there is little to no gain
22 in reusing glsa related code. Moving the relevant code from glsa.py to
23 some other location would be more work that rewriting these parts.
24
25 Marius
30 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
31 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.