From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: multiple inheritance support for profiles, Round 2
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 17:22:55
1 Danny van Dyk wrote:
2 > I for one favour a more flattened profiles/ and a way to mark a profile
3 > as 'not standalone', similar to a deprecated file, that isn't inherited,
4 > to stop users biting their own asses. The following sample is not
5 > complete, but should give the right impressions.
6
7 By 'not standalone', I assume you mean "this profile does not work by itself,
8 and is only meant to be inherited by other profiles". If that's not what you
9 meant, we also need something that does that :)
10
11 > profiles
12 > +-obsolete, which contains the "old cascaded profiles". Let's remove
13 > | the current obsolete/ contents.
14
15 Doing this will break portage for people who are using "old cascaded profiles".
16 Portage would freak out if there wasn't a profile where there was one before,
17 and there wouldn't be a way to do a 'deprecated' file to tell them about the new
18 ones.
19
20 > +-default-linux, minimal default useflags here
21 > | |
22 > | +-linux-2.4, would be handy for x86 :-) amd64 has no supported 2.4
23 > | kernel.
24 > |
25 > +-hardened, minimal default useflags here
26 > |
27 > +-default-bsd, minimal default useflags here
28 > | |
29 > | +fbsd, inherits default-bsd/
30 > |
31 > +-base
32 > | |
33 > | +amd64, inherits base/
34 > |
35 > +-releases
36 > |
37 > +-2006.1, does not inherit anything, stuff like "nptl nptlonly" here
38 > |
39 > +-amd64-linux, inherits default-linux/, base/amd64; "standalone"
40 > |
41 > +-amd64-hardened, inherits hardened, base/amd64; "standalone"
42 > |
43 > +-amd64-fbsd, inherits default-bsd/fbsd/, base/amd64; "standalone"
44 >
45 > This is a hot shot and I'm waiting for comments.
46 > Wolf? Agaffney?
47
48 I can't really comment on the structure, since I don't really do much with
49 profiles myself (no gentoo-x86 commit access).
50
51 > I'm prepared to do the work here and, as this new layout would take
52 > some time, it should be done in a seperate repository for the time
53 > being.
54
55 Not necessary. It can just be a separate directory tree under profiles/ much
56 like default-linux/ was created for cascaded profiles originally, and they can
57 all be marked as deprecated or something.
60 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
61 Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project
62 Today's lesson in political correctness: "Go asphyxiate on a phallus"
63 --
64 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list