From: Sebastian Pipping <webmaster@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [rfc] layman-global.txt, repositories.xml, layman, overlays.gentoo.org
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 18:23:38
1 Hello there!
4 This may look like like a lot of text but it actually isn't.
5 Please read on. Thanks.
8 During the last few days rbu and I have been teaming up on a proposal
9 implementation improving on some of the issues that persist around
10 layman-global.txt. (previously summarized in [1])
11
12 Both layman and the feed aggregator (planet) behind overlays.gentoo.org
13 work with a database of information on repositories. These databases
14 are not shared so changes do not propagate. That's not cool.
17 What we have done for now:
18
19 - Extended layman-global.txt format to repositories.xml format adding
20 - A list of feed URIs
21 .. for the planet side
22 - Several source URIs
23 .. for mirroring and several protocols
24 - Owner name
25 i.e. the name of the person to contact
26 - quality classification
27 (core, stable, testing, experimental, graveyard)
28 .. to better guide users
29 - project/person distinction
30 .. for the planet side mainly
31
32 - Created DTDs and Relax NG schemas for both the old and new format
33
34 - Wrote a converter script from layman-global.txt format to
35 repositories.xml format and back. It also adds
36 "generated file" style warnings. The scripts have no dependencies
37 other than plain Python.
38
39 - Prepared a patch against layman trunk at r38 that adds support for
40 - repositories.xml format
41 - display of owner names (in addition to e-mail addresses)
44 We have more or less the following future process in mind:
45
46 - Collect feedback from the list (right now)
47 and adjust the format and process as needed
48
49 - Give birth to repositories.xml online
50 - Decide about the final web location of repositories.xml
51 - Put an initial repositories.xml on gentoo infra
52 - Set up the repositories.xml to layman-global.txt converter
53 script on the same machine to propagate all changes over
54 to layman-global.txt in an automated fashion so we can keep
55 it alive and up-to-date while still only editing its replacement
56
57 - Revise layman patch until wrobel wants it upstream
58 and put our a new layman release after
59
60 - Setup script to create planet config from repositories.xml
61 (Script creation is in progress.)
62
63 - Take layman-global.txt offline in a year or so
66 Here is a sample entry for each XML formats:
67
68 layman-global.txt
69 =====================================================================
70 <overlay
71 contact="sebastian@×××××××.org"
72 name="sping" src="git://git.goodpoint.de/overlay-sping.git"
73 status="unofficial"
74 type="git">
75 <link>http://git.goodpoint.de/?p=overlay-sping.git</link>
76 <description>Gentoo overlay of Sebastian Pipping</description>
77 </overlay>
78 =====================================================================
79
80 repositories.xml
81 =====================================================================
82 <repo
83 name="sping"
84 quality="experimental"
85 status="unofficial">
86 <description>Gentoo overlay of Sebastian Pipping</description>
87 <homepage>http://git.goodpoint.de/?p=overlay-sping.git</homepage>
88 <owner type="person">
89 <email>sebastian@×××××××.org</email>
90 <name>Sebastian Pipping</name>
91 </owner>
92 <source type="git">git://git.goodpoint.de/overlay-sping.git</source>
93 <feed>http://git.goodpoint.de/?p=overlay-sping.git.git;a=atom</feed>
94 </repo>
98 The code and schemas can be found at [2].
99
100 Now please ask questions and let us know what you think.
104 Sebastian
107 [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-dev@l.g.o/msg35095.html
108 [2] http://git.goodpoint.de/?p=overlays-xml-specification.git;a=summary