From: Zeerak Mustafa Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Gentoo Phoenix] an official Gentoo wiki
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 20:47:47
1 On Sun, Apr 04, 2010 at 04:13:19PM +0100, AllenJB wrote:
2 > The unofficial wiki may have been created because there wasn't an
3 > official one, but that doesn't mean it's any less of a community in its
4 > own right.
5 >
6 > Starting the official wiki by effectively ripping off others work and
7 > attempting to destroy existing user communities is NOT the right way to
8 > go about things, in my opinion (and losing the editing history of those
9 > articles in the process).
10 >
11 > You should first try to start your wiki/community and make it a
12 > community in its own right, rather than trying to steal/destroy/rip off
13 > existing communities.
14 >
15 > My personal goal is to continue to maintain an existing community full
16 > of useful documentation, already concentrated in one place. The
17 > unofficial wiki avoids duplication by pointing to existing documentation
18 > where ever possible.
19 >
20 > The search problem is already dealt with by Google, so that's no reason
21 > to go about ripping off other peoples work.
22 >
23 > With your aims in mind, I don't see the point in duplicating existing
24 > material, creating TWO places you have to check to see what's been updated.
25 >
26 > If an "official wiki" starts up and becomes a major documentation centre
27 > for user contributions, then I may consider moving my articles over, but
28 > until that time I currently intend to maintain them in place, with their
29 > complete history in tact.
30 >
31 > AllenJB
34 You're absolutely right, it is a seperate community, and reading your replies I can't help but think "Is the url really that important?". After all regardless of where the articles that you've written, you still would be the writer. You could still take part in the various discussions that may arise on the articles.
35
36 The way I see it is that when the official wiki comes up, it will only be a question of time before the pages covered in the unofficial wiki are covered in the official one, particularly if it'll be mainly user-driven and people stop thinking about using the unofficial wiki, as there is a wiki and the answer isn't there. So when they find the answer, they add it.
37 Personally I'd prefer to be part of the change rather than resisting it.
38 I can understand reluctance to join a project you aren't certain will succeed, though.
39
40 As another note, the license of gentoo-wiki doesn't stop anyone from copying but is incompatible with the license on the docs (was mentioned in a thread recently) so what is in gentoo-wiki won't be copied, but at best/worst rewritten.
41
42 As an endnote, none of the above is meant as provocative or offensive, so in case it does offend; you have my apologies (it seems like a touchy subject for you so I thought I'd make it clear :-) )
45 Zeerak Waseem