From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting rid of nautilus
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 07:42:48
1 begin quote
2 On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:15:07 +0200
3 Philippe Coulonges <cphil@×××××.net> wrote:
6 > I use a slightly different method.
7 > I change the type in gnome-session to trash, then I destroy nautilus
8 > and save my session.
9 >
10 > > Without that necessity, at least on my system, Nautilus never loads
11 > > unless you order it to explicitly.
12 >
13 > It doesn't load, but I still have to compile frequently a big program
14 > I don't use. And as I can see my machine ain't broke without it, I
15 > would like to know what exactly cause the dependence.
16 >
17 > <TROLL>Maybe there's some good in the Debian "suggested" package type
18 > of dependencies.</TROLL>
21 <INSIGHT> Maybe you shouldn't ask for a complete gnome
22 installation?</INSIGHT>
23
24 since you don't -want- all of gnome, dont install it. install the parts
25 you want and go ahead. if something brings in nautilus and youre deadly
26 afraid of installing nautilus, perhaps try injecting nautilus, and check
27 what the package thinks about it. if you want us to remove a dep on
28 nautilus you'll have to prove that there aren't any binary differences
29 between a package built with nautilus in the system, and one built
30 without it.
31 ( That is, no dissapearing functionality nor any dissapearing
32 executables )
33
34 //Spider
38 begin .signature
39 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
41 end