From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, licenses@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Guidance on distributed patented software
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 18:30:30
1 >>>>> On Mon, 20 Sep 2021, Alec Warner wrote:
2
3 > The devmanual discusses licensing as a core concept
4 > (https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/licenses/index.html)
5 > but does not cover patents. My understanding is that we:
6
7 > - set RESTRICT=bindist when we are unable to redistribute binaries
8 > (e.g. due to a license or patent restriction.)
9 > - set RESTRICT=mirror when we are unable to redistribute source code
10 > (e.g. due to a license of patent restriction.)
11
12 IANAL, but IIUC patents only apply to programs that can run on a
13 computer. This is the case for binaries but not for source code.
14
15 In other words, we don't need mirror restriction for source tarballs
16 because of patents.
17
18 > - Sometimes, we remove patent encumbered source code from packages
19 > (e.g. with USE=bindist) so that we can build redistributable binaries
20 > with the patented features removed.
21
22 We do, but normally this doesn't prevent us from distributing the source
23 code.
24
25 > Could we add some text to the license concepts covering patents? It
26 > seems to have been omitted?
27 > Is my understanding of how we manage patented software correct?