From: John Richard Moser <nigelenki@×××××××.net>
To: Thierry Carrez <koon@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-security] Re: Stack smash protected daemons
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:25:15
2 Hash: SHA1
6 Thierry Carrez wrote:
7 | Small data analysis based on August/September GLSAs :
8 |
9 | 55 GLSAs
10 | 21 of which are buffer overflows (38%)
11 | 5 are buffer overflows affecting daemons (9%)
12 | 14 are buffer overflows affecting client software (25%)
13 | 2 can potentially affect both servers and clients (4%)
14 |
15 | So almost one third of our current vulnerabilities are buffer overflows
16 | affecting client software. These require the attacker to make you
17 | load/read/open a malicious document/image/playlist.
18
19 Yeah, mozilla/libpng vulns, etc.
20
21 | It's not because we
22 | haven't seen much viruses for Linux that we shouldn't worry about this
23 | attack vector.
24
25 They'll catch up when Linux takes over the market. I don't think we
26 should "cross that bridge when we come to it;" I think we should be
27 ready for it.
28
29 | Restricting ssp to daemons and +s programs is not very
30 | useful. A client-based vulnerability can be used together with a recent
31 | root escalation kernel vuln to compromise a machine completely. Weakest
32 | link.
33 |
34
35 Hey, if you want to protect client programs i.e. Mozilla, gftp,
36 gtk-gnutell, xchat. . . . . GO FOR IT. These aren't high-intensity
37 tasks; they eat about 1% of CPU time >99% of the time, and occasionally
38 spike to something like 50%, maybe touch 100% for about 10mS at a time.
39 ~ Nobody's going to notice.
40
41 On this note though, if you follow the logic through, you wind up
42 protecting every lib too eventually; what about libpng and libjpeg vulns
43 that can be used to exploit generic apps (mozilla again, but this time
44 not moz's fault so protecting moz does nothing)? This is why I say to
45 suggest -fstack-protector in make.conf in the comments just above CFLAGS
46 as well.
47
48 Where do we find things that we just don't care about? gcc maybe; wtf
49 do you do to exploit a compiler? But glibc? Everything uses glibc, if
50 there's a vuln then everything is vulnerable. Libncurses, libpng, gif
51 libraries, all used by web browsers.
52
53 A safer (from a security point of view) venue may be to allow users to
54 add CFLAGS="-fstack-protector" and FEATURES="autonossp" (notice the
55 'no') to have things determined to not need SSP have it removed.
56 Selecting things to protect means you have to be active and aggressive
57 in finding those programs and libs which would be potential targets;
58 selecting things that just obviously shouldn't or wouldn't need
59 protection can be done passively, because it's not a security concern to
60 protect an app that doesn't need it (only an overhead or performance
61 concern, depending on app).
62
63 The 'autonossp' and 'autossp' venues can coexist; anything that gets ssp
64 with 'autossp' should not be stripped of it with 'autonossp'. It's up
65 to you to decide if you want to implement one or both, and which should
66 be focused on more in the case of both.
67
68 | --
69 | Koon
70
71 - --
72 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list
76 - --
77 All content of all messages exchanged herein are left in the
78 Public Domain, unless otherwise explicitly stated.
79
90 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list