From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stupid question regarding 'fixpackages'
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:12:46
1 On 10/20/03 Joachim Breuer wrote:
2
3 > Now, my question is: Shouldn't fixpackages 'stabilize', i.e. not
4 > perform global updates it has already performed? The way it is now I'd
5 > hate to think what an upgrade will be like a year or two from now...
6 > If this 'stabilizing' cannot be done I'd like to know for what reason,
7 > perhaps I'd want to take a look whether there really isn't an useful
8 > optimization.
9
10 Well, there are different opinions on that. I'd like to make the
11 fixpackages script behave the same way as FEATURES="fixpackages", but
12 there is a reason not to do this: the do_upgrade function which actually
13 does all the work for fixpackages (and more) maintains a mtime table
14 when it runs, but it is run by emerge and fixpackages. The problem now
15 is that when do_upgrade runs from emerge without FEATURES="fixpackages"
16 it updates the mtime table, that means the information would be wrong
17 for fixpackages. I guess in the end we will have to add another mtime
18 table for fixpackages to fix this issue.
19
20 Marius
25 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
26 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.