From: Sylvain Alain <d2racing911@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Questions about SystemD and OpenRC
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 12:49:00
1 Hi everyone, for a couple of months now, I see on the list some of
2 activities about OpenRC been ported to FreeBSD or OpenRC to Debian and
3 other stuff related to SystemD.
4
5 I have some basic questions about all that :
6
7 1. The SystemD and Udev projetcs are merged now, so what is the impact on
8 the Gentoo on a short term period ?
9
10 2. I saw on some lists that Gnome/Kde and Xfce plan to use some SystemD
11 API, so does it means that we will need to install SystemD aside of OpenRC
12 ?
13
14 3. In a long term vision, can OpenRC still exist on a Gentoo box(OpenRC
15 might be able to boot the box then give the control to SystemD/Udev for the
16 rest of the boot process) or we will need to migrate to SystemD to be able
17 to use Gnome/Kde or Xfce ?
18
19 4. Finally, is there any reason why Gnome/Kde/Xfce wants to add deps
20 related to SystemD ? I don't understand why these desktops want to depend
21 on a specific Sysint....
22
23 Thanks !
24