From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI 6 portage is out!
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 15:09:43
1 Am Mittwoch, 18. November 2015, 12:12:05 schrieb Alexander Berntsen:
2 > On 18/11/15 12:05, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 > > Only that there is no real difference to the existing situation
4 > > when mixing stable and unstable. It is not guaranteed that all
5 > > dependencies of an unstable package are stable, so already now
6 > > users may have to accept the ~ keyword for dependencies in some
7 > > cases. Similarly, such users may have to accept EAPI 6 for some
8 > > dependencies, which implies that they install a package manager
9 > > supporting EAPI 6.
10 >
11 > There's a difference between some packages being troublesome, and
12 > encouraging everyone to rewrite their eclasses and ebuilds, if the end
13 > result is a huge portion of ebuilds causing headaches.
14
15 Well, at some point it has to be introduced in the main tree.
16 Can you prove at any point that portage is 100% correct?
17
18 Also, adding EAPI=6 support to eclasses mostly consists of adding branches to
19 case statements. I.e. the new code paths will never run on old EAPI.
20
21 > > And on what basis would you stabilise Portage, when there are no
22 > > ebuilds in the tree to test its EAPI 6 code?
23 >
24 > When I do QA in projects I'm involved with (at least outside of
25 > Gentoo), we don't do it live on end-user systems. I'll leave the
26 > details as an exercise for the Gentoo developer.
27
28 So, I suggest you branch gentoo.git, start adding some new ebuilds to it
29 (don't forget to use a random combination of eclasses, like perl-module,
30 python-r1, kde4-base ...), update your system and check for all possible
31 resolver oddities... Too much work? Tough.
34 Andreas K. Huettel
35 Gentoo Linux developer (council, perl, libreoffice)
36 dilfridge@g.o
37 http://www.akhuettel.de/