From: Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] NEWS item for games destabling
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 18:45:00
1 For those of us who run mostly stable systems, there is one question I don’t know a good answer to.
2
3 If I add a specific version of a game to package.accept_keywords, I will get that version forever. That’s not really what I want: I prefer to stay up to date as new versions are packaged.
4
5 If I add just a cat/pkg to p.a_k, Portage will always try to pull in the latest version. If that version has some unstable dependencies which I haven’t also accepted, Portage will yell at me. An example of this is games-emulation/mednafen-0.9.46 depending on dev-libs/lzo-2.10, the latter of which is unstable.
6
7 What I really want to install is, “the latest version of the package that doesn’t pull in any deps that aren’t available (stable or accepted),” but I don’t know any way to tell Portage that. Am I missing something, or is that indeed impossible?
8 --
9 Christopher Head