From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: kentfredric@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD : .ebuild is only bash
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 18:03:51
1 On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 04:57:04 +1300
2 Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 12 March 2012 22:37, Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > Ebuilds *are* bash.  There isn't ever going to be a PMS labeled
6 > > xml format that is known as ebuilds... that's just pragmatic reality
7 > > since such a beast is clearly a seperate format (thus trying to call
8 > > it an 'ebuild' is dumb, confusing, and counter productive).
11 > I think this notion should be concluded before we continue debating as
12 > to how best to implement EAPI declarations.
13 >
14 > Is it really so fixed that ".ebuild" will only ever be bash ?
15 >
16 > If thats the case, then G55 ( or something similar ) is practically
17 > guaranteed as soon as we want something non-bash.
18
19 Maybe instead of per-EAPI suffix change, we'd want to prepend the
20 suffix with something special whenever the actual format changes.
21
22 In other words, if EAPI 15 introduces XML-based syntax, we start
23 using .xml.ebuild. If EAPI 7 introduces bash4 in global scope (still
24 don't see much reason for it), we use .bash4.ebuild.
27 Best regards,
28 Michał Górny