From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: news item for upower
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 20:19:58
1 Ben Kohler wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 11:24 AM, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o
4 > <mailto:ssuominen@g.o>> wrote:
7 > Wrong. I'm always using the -t (--tree) flag with Portage and I
8 > would
9 > have seen upower being the culprit immediately,
10 > and second command would have been `eix upower` to see available
11 > versions, at which point I would have seen
12 > upower-pm-utils, and figured it out.
13 >
14 > - Samuli
15 >
16 > I'm glad this fire has mostly been put out, but I think you are making
17 > quite a leap here that normal users can "see upower-pm-utils, and
18 > figure it out". You may be too close to this problem to understand
19 > just how confusing it is to everyone else.
20 >
21 > No offense intended.
22 >
23 > -Ben
24
25 As a user, I have ran into blockers quite a few times. I either end up
26 asking on -user or using the trial and error approach. A lot of the
27 time, the trial and error approach fails and I still end up posting on
28 -user or find where someone else beat me to it. It's rare with the
29 output that portage gives that I can figure out why something is
30 blocking. Generally this is just a issue of a different version of the
31 same package being needed.
32
33 Given that in this case it is a entirely different package that is
34 needed to resolve it, I certainly would have been posting on -user.
35 Unless portage spelled it out that I needed to use a different package
36 all together, it would have never occurred to me.
37
38 I might add, I been using Gentoo since 2003. I'm not a dev for sure and
39 don't do scripting stuff so diggin in the ebuilds doesn't generally help
40 me much either.
41
42 Just a users point of view.
43