From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP81 and /home
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2020 20:16:32
1 On 1/18/20 2:03 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
2 >
3 > I tend to agree that in theory keeping the working directory and home
4 > directory the same is not ideal. However  I'm not really aware of any
5 > practical problems. Haven't we basically run in this configuration for
6 > years? What kind of issues does it pose (outside of "well it sounds like
7 > not the best idea?")
8
9 There have been numerous bugs and mailing list discussions about the
10 problems it causes, but it's kind of a moot point here. The best reason
11 to avoid re-using /var/lib/amavis as the daemon's home directory is
12 because it really is treated like a home directory by all of these
13 packages, and we shouldn't dump a user's dotfiles into a daemon's
14 working directory without a good reason.
15
16 (We haven't been running this configuration for years, because we
17 haven't had the GLEP81 eclasses that clobber your permissions for years.)
20 > Agreeing with ulm here. I think the potential struggle for (3) is that
21 > conceptually /home is not always system specific. If /home is shared,
22 > you could end up with a bad time (e.g. I *don't* want /home/amavis
23 > shared across all my hosts, how would I manage multiple versions?
24
25 All of the upstream packages treat $HOME as user configuration. If you
26 want to run two different daemons with two different configurations and
27 if those configurations are sourced from $HOME, then you make two
28 different users. There is no problem here.
29
30 I'm willing to pick something like /var/lib/amavis-home, but that's
31 clearly just second-guessing the administrator and putting a home
32 directory somewhere it doesn't belong to avoid a QA warning.
33
34 We have a similar situation with spamd in spamassassin itself, and I'd
35 rather not maintain my own fake /home hierarchy as /var/lib/$user-home.