From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: GPL and Source code providing
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 20:57:35
1 On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 15:14 -0400, Michael Cummings wrote:
2 > Probably too off the wall and simpleton for the "problem" - but what if
3 > the install docs included something like:
4 >
5 > "
6 > To obtain the sources for your new install, please use:
7 >
8 > emerge -fDN world
9 >
10 > to download all of the sources used to build your stage3 install.
11 > "
12 >
13 > (the presumption being after the unrolling of stage3, they would have to
14 > get the sources anyway to proceed forward, so this would fill the
15 > initial gap...or am I missing something more critical?)
16
17 Well, it would need to be -efDN, but that doesn't take into account what
18 happens when someone uses a tarball from 2 releases ago that is still on
19 our mirrors, but the packages haven't been in the tree (and therefore
20 not on our mirrors) for months. For the most part, it would work,
21 provided upstream kept copies of their older sources, but there would
22 still be source lost, like patches in ${FILESDIR}. This only works so
23 long as we have everything either in the tree or on our infrastructure.
24
25 A burned DVD, however, will always have the old stuff there, no matter
26 what happens in the tree.
27
28 It really is the simplest method for us.
31 Chris Gianelloni
32 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
33 x86 Architecture Team
34 Games - Developer