From: John Mylchreest <johnm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Pending Removal of $KV
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 16:10:06
1 On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 11:13:33AM +0000, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 > Portage currently exports $KV as the current kernel version. We detect
3 > this by attempting to mess around with the things in /usr/src/linux
4 > (.config, make files, etc...)
5 >
6 > This is duplicating the superb efforts of the kernel team and of
7 > linux-info eclass. As such I would like to deprecate $KV in favor of
8 > using linux-info eclass. I don't see the need for portage to export $KV
9 > into the environment for all packages.
10 >
11 > There are a few packages left that use this. There will be a tracker
12 > bug shortly. Mostly this mail is just a heads up ;)
13
14 I've been after this for quite a long time (I opened a bug but cant seem
15 to find it) as not only is it horrifically broken, it also should never
16 have been the job of portage internals anyways.
17
18 $KV is currently being exported by linux-info purely for legacy support
19 and as such I would like to suggest that if these ebuilds inherit
20 linux-info as well as use $KV, then it should not require any maintainer
21 changes.
22
23 Anything I can do to encourage this move please let me know, and many
24 thanks for raising this again.
25
26 Best Regards,
27 John
30 Role: Gentoo Linux Kernel Lead
31 Gentoo Linux: http://www.gentoo.org
32 Public Key: gpg --recv-keys 9C745515
33 Key fingerprint: A0AF F3C8 D699 A05A EC5C 24F7 95AA 241D 9C74 5515