From: Arcady Genkin <agenkin@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] NVIDIA and /usr/lib/OpenGL.so thoughts
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 04:28:14
1 Since we updated to the new NVIDIA drivers layout I have seen a lot of
2 noise about it in -users and in the bug tracker. I still think that
3 we did the right thing by moving the drivers into /opt, and I still
4 think that the applications that don't honor run-time linker's
5 resolution of libGL.so to /opt/nvidia/lib are broken. However, I
6 think that we can improve the situation a bit.
7
8 Some premises:
9 1. Drobbins voice a hypothesis that some programs (quake) have
10 "/usr/lib/libGL.so" hardcoded and use a system call to load the
11 lbrary.
12 2. It seems that compilation sybsystems of other programs (gltron,
13 perhaps?) define run-time library paths at compile time by passing the
14 linker "-rpath" option.
15 3. Xfree installs *symlinks*
16 /usr/lib/libGL.so -> /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so
17 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 -> /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1
18 it's important that they are symlinks.
19
20 A possible solution:
21 1. Xfree ebuild does *not* install the symlinks.
22 2. Instead we create a separate package that would install just the
23 symlinks into /usr/lib (for people that do not use NVIDIA drivers).
24 We can name it "xfree-gl-symlinks" or just "xfree-gl".
25 3. For the people who use NVIDIA drivers, we make nvidia-glx pacakge
26 install the synlinks in /usr/lib, pointing to /opt/nvidia/lib,
27 naturally.
28
29 This ain't pretty, and it's a kludge. I don't like it much, but I
30 think that this will make lives of many users easier, at a nominal
31 cost. If anyone can think of another way to fix the problem, I hope
32 that a better idea exits. ;^)
33
34 Comments?
35 --