From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making systemd more accessible to "normal" users
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 14:02:05
1 On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM, Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o> wrote:
2 > And (and!) how does all this fit together with eudev? If the idea is
3 > to either put logind in udev (thus, not creating a separate logind
4 > ebuild), it means that eudev is already a dead end for GNOME users,
5 > unless the eudev team is going to provide logind as well.
6
7 I picked this paragraph to quote, but this is more of an overall
8 response to your email.
9
10 Gentoo is about choice, but that doesn't mean that every developer has
11 to support every possible choice on every package.
12
13 Eudev not working with gnome is not a reason to hold back either
14 project. Not every option in Gentoo has to be compatible with every
15 other option.
16
17 Eudev is welcome to stay even if its developers are its only users.
18
19 I do agree in general that systemd seems pretty likely to take over,
20 but that doesn't mean that those who aren't running big desktop
21 environments can't make use of the alternatives, or that providing
22 alternatives is bad. I doubt you'll ever get Gnome 3.8 running on
23 Prefix either. :)
24
25 Rich