From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Build dependencies and upgrades.
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 19:37:01
1 On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera
2 (klondike) <klondike@g.o> wrote:
3 > El 11/10/11 20:55, Markos Chandras escribió:
4 >> On 10/11/11 19:50, Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike) wrote:
5 >> > Hi,
6 >>
7 >> > Today I have found that build dependencies are left in the system
8 >> > but won't be upgraded when running emerge -vauD1 world. This can be
9 >> > inconvenient since security issues fixed in those left over
10 >> > packages won't be applied properly. So, is there any reason for
11 >> > this behaviour? Shouldn't build dependencies either be cleaned with
12 >> > --depclean after building or be upgraded to avoid possible issues?
13 >>
14 >> > Sorry if this gets in here twice, I used an incorrect account.
17 >> Maybe you want the --with-bdeps parameter along with the -D one?. man
18 >> emerge -> section Options -> parameter -D
19 > That makes sense but then the problem is on the poor documentation we
20 > have in the Internet.
21 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1
22 > Here no mention to that option is made
23 > Nor is in:
24 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml
25 >
26 > And in fact no mention to the option is made in the doc space at all. I
27 > may also be wrong here but I don't recall finding it when I started with
28 > portage and no notice was issued since then so either I misunderstood
29 > it, kinda likely by then, or it was added later. And the fact it wasn't
30 > commented at all in the documentation didn't help.
31 >
32 > The question now is anybody thinks this shouldn't appear in the
33 > handbook? If nobody has a problem I'll prepare a patch.
34 >
35 > PS: howarang thanks for the point I found it really odd this was missing.
39 FYI: there are a truckload of options that are available in portage
40 but are not documented in the handbook. I'm not really sure
41 replicating the portage manpages in the handbook is necessarily a good
42 way to move forward. Ideally we would direct users to just read the
43 manpages.
44
45 -A