From: Thomas Flavel <thomasfl@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Tom
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:52:29
1 On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 07:29:01PM -0600, Bryce Porter wrote:
2 >
3 > Tom:
4 > "I'm just thinking along the lines of a minimum binary system where
5 > absolutley needed, and compiling specifically everywhere else? I realise this would
6 > be slow to install on slower systems, but, since we're all power users... ;)
7 >
8 > Seriously though, I do think this would be a nice feature, unless there's
9 > some practicality reason I'm missing."
10 > -------------------------------------------------------------
11 >
12 > I think this is a great idea. I heard of a GNU/Linux distrobution that
13 > when installed compiled all selected packages from source, making it the
14 > most optimized you could get for your specific machine. I think it was
15 > called Rock Linux or something.
16
17 Not heard of it, but a quick search on google reveals the predicatable url:
18 http://www.rocklinux.org, #rocklinux on irc.openprojects.net.
19
20 Looks to be faily mature (at least they're past 1.0 ;), supports ppc and alpha
21 as well as x86. From what I can see it has a binary cd version, with the option
22 to compile from source (the same thing I was talking about, if I understand them
23 correctly). It describes it's package management as closer to FreeBSD than debian.
24 It looks to be quite similar to gentoo to me, although not quite as advanced.
25 No offence if they're listening ;)
26
27 - Tom