From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] init.d-scripts don't see stuff from /etc/profile.env
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 07:28:49
1 On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 16:33 +0200, Sven Köhler wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > i just wrote an init.d-script and i thought that the LANG variable was
5 > inherited since it set system-wide in /etc/env.d/02locale and therefor
6 > is also found in /etc/profile.env
7
8 Did you env-update?
11 > Now i noticed, that LANG isn't set for the process started by my
12 > init.d-script.
13
14 I set LANG and a few other things in /etc/env.d/02locale
15
16 Here's a quick init script called test
17
18 #!/sbin/runscript
19
20 start() {
21 set | grep LANG
22 }
23
24 Now, lets see what it does
25
26 uberpc init.d # ./test start
27 * Starting service test
28 LANG=en_GB.utf8
29 LANGUAGE=en_GB.utf8
30 set | grep LANG
31 * Service test started OK
35 > So what's the intension to ignore /etc/profile.env for init.d-script and
36 > what's the gentoo-way of loading the all or specific variabled from
37 > /etc/profile.env?
38
39 So we're not ignoring it. Maybe the process itself doesn't use LANG ?
40
41 Thanks
42
43 Roy