From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: Svyatogor <svyatogor@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Menu - Some Comments
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:08:02
1 On Thursday 14 August 2003 1:01 pm, Svyatogor wrote:
2 > On Thursday 14 August 2003 14:31, Stuart Herbert wrote:
3 > > A creditable (sp?) menu system would install native menu entries for each
4 > > supported WM, I'd hope.
5 > >
6 > > I'd hope that any technical solution would provide a new wm-menu eclass,
7 > > which exports a (for arguments sake) 'wm-install-menuitem' function that
8 > > transparently installs menu entries for each of the wm's currently
9 > > active. Yes, it would mean going back and changing lots of existing
10 > > ebuilds, but it would be a worthy change.
11 >
12 > Not exactly for each wm, but a single 'universal' desktop entry, based on
13 > which we generate native wm menus.
14
15 The main advantage is central administration of the menu items added by
16 ebuilds. That's a powerful advantage, and one that has its place for sure.
17
18 But generating native wm menus seems to me to imply some form of overwriting
19 of what's already there - which is at the heart of the objections that some
20 of the previous posters in this thread have raised. That is, if your tool
21 re-generates all the menus any time *any* ebuild tries to add a new menu
22 item.
23
24 Best regards,
25 Stu
26 --
27 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
28 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
29 Beta packages for download http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/packages/
30
31 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
32 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C
33 --