From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] init script guidelines
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:08:03
1 On Tuesday 19 July 2005 02:08 pm, Eric Brown wrote:
2 > I do see how timing could be an issue for sleeps, but I would personally
3 > much rather have a timeout variable in conf.d somewhere rather than no
4 > check at all.
5
6 because you're only looking at one side of the race condition
7
8 your check goes to sleep for 3 seconds ... then the service starts up but
9 because it's a slow CPU, it takes 10 seconds to get to the config file
10 parsing where it fails and exits silently ... when the check wakes back up it
11 goes 'hey, service is still running, all is good'
12 -mike
13 --
14 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list