From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: news item: changes to stages (make.conf and make.profile)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 14:44:07
1 On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
2 <jmbsvicetto@g.o> wrote:
4 > Hash: SHA1
5 >
6 > On 25-07-2012 13:29, Michael Mol wrote:
7 >> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Aaron W. Swenson
8 >> <titanofold@g.o> wrote:
10 >>>
11 >>> On 07/24/2012 04:19 PM, Michael Mol wrote:
12 >>>> Another user opinion...it would be a significant improvement to
13 >>>> the stage images and live discs to include the latest copy of
14 >>>> the handbook, so that a network connection isn't required to
15 >>>> access it. But that's probably a subject for a different
16 >>>> thread. And I think that's at least three topics, now, this
17 >>>> thread has touched on.
18 >>>>
19 >>>
20 >>> The handbook has always been included. There may be a discrepancy
21 >>> between the online version and the version included with the
22 >>> disc, but that's because the online version is always current
23 >>> where the stages can be a week or so behind.
24 >>
25 >> I've never spotted it. Good to know. :)
26 >
27 > AFAIK, the install-cd never provided the handbook. It used to be
28 > manually added to the live-cd.
29 > About adding it to the minimal-cd, we don't want to add manual steps
30 > to the automated weekly builds for an installation process that
31 > already requires network access - the GRP CD stopped being built a
32 > long time ago.
33
34 Any objection to the handbook (or even gentoo docs as a whole) being
35 in portage? 'emerge --searchdesc' doesn't turn it up, and I don't see
36 it under app-doc/, so I don't think it's there.
37
38 The problem I've tended to face is that on any install I do on new
39 hardware, it's hit or miss whether or not the network will work after
40 I reboot and work entirely within my installed environment. This is
41 largely because I don't know which kernel options I need to leave
42 enabled. That window inevitably requires me to have a separate machine
43 with network access in order to walk any deeper through the handbook.
46 :wq