From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unmasking modular X
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:09:48
1 On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 23:06 -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Earlier tonight, I discussed with halcy0n our differing opinions of the
3 > need for modular X to enter ~arch and break trees for some ~arch users.
4 > In my opinion, this is acceptable and beneficial, as ~arch users should
5 > already be those willing to help out. It will assist in learning which
6 > of the still-unported apps are actually in use and help compile a
7 > possible list of tree removal candidates. halcy0n, on the other hand,
8 > feels that any breakage of the ~arch tree is anathema.
9
10 Funny enough, I kinda agree with both of you. I am currently working
11 through the *enormous* number of packages in games-* but with the
12 release forthcoming and also very busy. Any help here would be
13 appreciated. I would hope to get as much of this done as possible
14 *before* the packages go into ~arch, rather than after.
15
16 > It's my earnest hope that this proposal makes everyone happy, because I
17 > refuse to let modular X get old and rusty in package.mask while hundreds
18 > of unmaintained (or undermaintained, for whatever reason) applications
19 > hold it back.
20
21 In our case, it is simply sheer numbers. We have a small group
22 responsible for a large number of packages. We are definitely agreeable
23 to getting some help with this, as we don't want to be the cause of
24 holding back modular X in any way.
27 Chris Gianelloni
28 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
29 x86 Architecture Team