From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP concerning ebuild-development
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 00:53:42
1 On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 18:40 -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 00:29 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:58:58 -0600 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
4 > > wrote:
5 > > | How about both options? Some people prefer getting email reports,
6 > > | others prefer just going to a website. I don't see how this could be a
7 > > | problem, so why not offer both? :) Perhaps we should ask the author to
8 > > | rewrite his proposed GLEP to be more of a QA monitoring system that
9 > > | devs could use.
10 > >
11 > > Mmm, I think it'd help more if the author was actually aware of how
12 > > development works.
13 >
14 > In a perfect world, thats the case. Last time I checked, we don't live
15 > in a perfect world. Are you talking general development practices, or
16 > Gentoo specific practices? If its the latter, do we have a doc that
17 > covers some QA/practices related topics that maybe aren't covered in the
18 > dev handbook?
19 >
20 > Its going to be hard to get around this problem with people, so why not
21 > create something that might make them aware of their problems and offer
22 > ways to help them get better instead of complaining about them?
25 Also the other issue is for instance that say some eclass gets
26 depreciated, or some new function is used to add stuff to say /etc/env.d
27 (doenvd, check if ebuild does 'insinto /etc/env.d'), and the dev missed
28 that - this could be nice things to add to this checker, as it will
29 ensure we do not sit with 20 ways of doing the same thing, but not
30 exactly wrong.
34 Martin Schlemmer
35 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
36 Cape Town, South Africa