From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage + bittorrent anyone?
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:19:35
1 On Feb 16, 2004, at 5:35 am, Lisa Seelye wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 00:32, Jason Toffaletti wrote:
4 >> Is there any interest in adding bittorrent support to portage. This
5 >> would give
6 >> users the option of using bittorrent to download distfiles. It would
7 >> take
8 >> some load off of rsync mirrors. Some work might need to be done to add
9 >> features to bittorrent to allow users to share their local distfile
10 >> cache,
11 >> but its already written in python, which is a plus.
12 >
13 > You can write something and use the FETCH_COMMAND in make.conf.
14 >
15 > Personally I don't want to wait a zillion hours to download a simple
16 > source file.
17
18 My experience with BitTorrent is that it will saturate the download of
19 my 512/256 ADSL connection for any reasonably well-seeded file. If you
20 do not experience good download speeds with BitTorrent, it is IMO
21 likely that your firewall or NAT is blocking the necessary ports.
22
23 BitTorrent can be extremely quirky about ports - if your ports are
24 blocked then on one day you may still get very high download speeds
25 (because there is a peer available with have those ports open who has
26 large parts of the file you require) and the next day you may get
27 absolutely abysmal download speeds (because most NAT users don't know
28 about port-forwarding) even though a tracker might show the file as
29 well-seeded. I hope my explanation at
30 <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/47669> is clear &
31 more detailed.
32
33 I would, however, suggest the OP has a search of the archives. This has
34 been suggested before, and from what I can find there are neither any
35 objections to integrating p2p support into Portage, nor many volunteers
36 to do so. I seem to recall that someone was working on it at one stage,
37 but I can't find any references to that when I search.
38
39 Stroller.
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list