From: foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] Making 2 local use flags to global
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:09:52
1 On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 19:22, Bart Lauwers wrote:
2 > In my opinion the use of the use flag flac (or encoder or whatever) then
3 > should cause an RDEPEND for flac. I have to agree with Spider and I disagree
4 > that this an education issue. The point of portage is to manage what gets
5 > installed on a system so it should figure out that flac is a run dependency
6 > to encoding.
7
8 I know the rationale. I'm talking about the general case and yes I'm
9 also applying it here specific because i think consistency is important.
10 One of the reasons behind the plug-ins split-up was to avoid a
11 mesmerizing amount of USE flags for gst-plugins, but if those flags are
12 going to be implemented in every gst using package we're even farther
13 from that goal. Agreed I'm generalizing here and a line could be drawn
14 somewhere a bit further than flac, but in my opinion it could already be
15 drawn here.
16
17 - foser
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list