From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [News item review] V2 Chromium access to Google services
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 22:47:50
1 > On 8 Mar 2021, at 19:01, Stephan Hartmann <sultan@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4
5 Hi!
6
7 Review from mobile so please excuse non-ideal formatting.
11 > updated based on previous suggestions.
12 >
13 > ```
14 > Title: Chromium access to Google services
15 > Author: Stephan Hartmann <sultan@g.o>
16 > Content-Type: text/plain
17 > Posted: 2021-03-09
18 > Revision: 1
19 > News-Item-Format: 2.0
20 > Display-If-Installed: www-client/chromium
21 >
22 > Starting March 15th, 2021 Google Chrome Team will restrict access to
23
24 From March 15th 2021, Google’s Chrome team will be restricting access to...
25
26 > Google APIs and services that are reserved for Google use only. This
27 > means that users are no longer able to login into
28
29 users of?
30
31 > their Google Accounts
32 > which disables access to for example Chrome Sync.
35 Access to e.g Chrome Sync and ... will be affected.
36
37 > As a consequence we have to remove Client ID and secret from all
38 > www-client/chromium ebuilds.
39
40 As a consequence, we must remove both the Client ID and secret(s) from the www-client/chromium ebuilds in Gentoo.
41
42 > This change has already been done for
43 > =www-client/chromium-89.0.4389.82.
44
45 This change has already been made for...
46
47 > Other versions will be updated
48 > shortly.
49 >
50 > If you need one of the Google use only APIs, then you either have to
51
52 If you need to use one of these Google-only APIs. then you either have to...
53
54 1) ...
55
56 > switch to www-client/google-chrome{-beta,-unstable}
57
58 Or
59
60 2)
61 > setup your own
62 > keys [1]. However, the latter is only intended for development.
63 > Documentation on how to generate and use own keys can be found in [2].
64 >
65 > [1] https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/chromium-dev/c/jgy5pcJ7np8/m/p3j_4b6vBQAJ
66 > [2] https://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/api-keys
67 > ```