From: Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Help offered - Portage tree
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:29:05
1 Le jeudi 13 mars 2008 à 10:15 -0400, Caleb Tennis a écrit :
2 > > +1 on that and if people who use binary pkgs don't tell us what breaks,
3 > > we won't know.
4 >
5 > I'll kick it off, then.
6 >
7 > The binpkg format needs some way to store the actual versions of the dependencies as
8 > they were on the machine the package was compiled on. Then, when emerging the
9 > binpkg, someway to force those dependencies on the new install machine would be
10 > nice.
11 >
12 > I'll give an example. Package A was built on machine 1, and has a dep on
13 > >=openssl-0.9.7. Machine 1 has openssl-0.9.8 already installed. Binary package
14 > built, no problem.
15 >
16 > Now, we attempt to install binary package A on machine 2, which has openssl-0.9.7.
17 > It installs fine, deps met. But, whoops, there's some symbols missing when we go to
18 > use package A on machine 2. After some time, we finally realize it's because we
19 > need new openssl.
20 >
21 > I use this example because it's actually hit me before, but it extends to lots of
22 > other scenarios. The obvious fix is to either use --deep, or just make sure you
23 > need machine 2 up to date with machine 1, though that's difficult to do when you're
24 > talking about machine 301 and machine 559.
25 >
26 > If there was a way to tell the bin package installer to make sure you met all of the
27 > same minimum verisons of the deps as they were on the original compiling machine,
28 > that would be fantastic.
29 >
30 > Now, I'm happy to file a bug and assign it (to the portage team?), but I view this
31 > really as a wishlist item, and since admittedly very few devs use the binpkg stuff,
32 > I didn't see it as something that would probably get acted upon anyway. I'm not
33 > complaining about that either, just merely stating a fact.
34
35 I think remi was more speaking about incorrect deps (say misplaced in
36 RDEPEND) than problems concerning the package manager.
37
38 In any case, openssl is the perfect example of what can go wrong because
39 of upstream's behavior. The problem is that program A compiled against
40 version X of openssl won't work with version Y>X. Currently we need to
41 keep X's libs around and run revdep-rebuild to fix this.
42
43 Most librairies don't cause this problem though so I don't really see
44 this as a bug on the gentoo side even if it's annoying.
45
46 Anyway, to keep machines using binary in sync without much headache, my
47 current solution is to use a squashfsed portage tree with --deep. It
48 works pretty well.
49 --
50 Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
51 Gentoo