From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: allow -1 for ACCT_USER_ID and ACCT_GROUP_ID in ::gentoo
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 23:39:19
1 > On 28 Nov 2021, at 23:26, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 > [sinp]
3 > The only problem that anyone has put forth is one that does not exist.
4 > UIDs and GIDs are still assigned dynamically in Gentoo. The number you
5 > type in the ebuild is only a hint: it's the first number that will be
6 > tried during the dynamic assignment. There is no limit on the number of
7 > hints, and we will never run out because a conflict is never possible,
8 > because the damned things are assigned dynamically.
9 >
10 > Is there an actual problem?
13 Could you look at this thread?
14
15 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/5bad6853520e3ab182f6399a53198fec <https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/5bad6853520e3ab182f6399a53198fec>
16
17 Whissi and others raised some points that I think you may have some views on
18 (and I'm interested in hearing them).
19
20 best,
21 sam