From: Vitaly Ivanov <im@×××.ru>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [Fwd: Re: [gentoo-user] Old HW gentoo installs]
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:34:53
1 Hello All
2
3 I think this is the question for you, not for gentoo-user mailing-list.
4
5 The main question is
6 how to make binnary .tbz2 packages for target
7 with incompatible instruction set,
8 for example, on Pentium4 for ViaC3
9
10 -------- Original Message --------
11 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Old HW gentoo installs
12 Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:56:36 +0400
13 From: Vitaly Ivanov <im@×××.ru>
14 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
15 References: <179d16204091710421f53f2b0@××××××××××.com>
16 <e71d180104091716092ace7b50@××××××××××.com>
20 Hello All
21
22 I think Gentoo is the best linux distr. But it has the big flaw.
23 It is not optimized for offline users (it can be easy done, I'm offline
24 user),
25 and not for slow computers, old notebooks, etc.
26
27 The first step is done.User can add
28 'PORTAGE_BINHOST=' to make.conf
29 and use binnary packages
30 but how to setup 'fast server' to create .tbz2 packages?
31
32 ok
33
34 I can chroot from pentium4 to pentium2 and fast compile all packages,
35 good, what about chroot from AthlonXP or from Pentium4 to ViaC3 ???
36
37 This is the main question:
38 How to make binnary packages (tbz2 's) no AthlonXP optimized for Via C3?
39 (what way is for machines with imcompatible instruction set)
40 if I want to use optimized system I need to start from stage1,
41 and not use stage2 or stage3...
42
43 The dreams:
44 on Athlon XP
45 -download and unpack to separate dir stage1 and last portage snapshot
46 -may be mount --bind dev and proc and chroot
47 -change profile via symlink
48 -edit make.conf (CFLAGS="-march=c3 -O3 -pipe" FEATURES="buildpkg")
49 some-other-bootstrap.sh
50 emerge system
51 emerge --buildpkg windowmaker , emerge --buildpkg mozilla and emerge
52 --buildpkg some-package again
53 export or copy all .tbz2 packages to ViaC3 hosts
54 install .tbz2 packages by emerge --usepkgonly package-name on ViaC3
55
56 Thanks for any ideas.
60 Brant Katkansky wrote:
61