From: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [PR] ivy, mvn, sbt, gradle builders improvement for ebuild development
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 17:32:05
1 On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 11:37:15 -0400
2 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 4/19/20 10:55 AM, Samuel Bernardo wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Taking into account the network sandbox requirement, sbt.eclass needs to
7 > > download all dependencies with some approach like EGO_SUM implementation
8 > > in go-module.eclass[1].
11 > EGO_SUM is not a legitimate approach to packaging. You have to create
12 > packages for each package. I know, it sounds crazy when you say it.
13 >
14 A lot of upstreams are doing things that are not very friendly to packagers. Sometimes we have to take different approaches to packaging to make it feasible to package these very popular programs.
15
16 Having 300+ packages in the tree with a single version that are only used as a dependency by a single package is not the way to a well-maintained tree. Sometimes things like EGO_SUM are the only feasible way to do things given we all have limited time to work on Gentoo, and we want these packages in the tree because many people find them useful.
17
18 If you object to the way these are handled, you are free to mask dev-lang/go on your system to endure that you do not get anything written in go installed. Simply having things in ::gentoo does not affect anyone who does not use them.