From: scott worley <folokai@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RC6 Boot ISO reports + aic7xxx problem solved!
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 11:01:47
1 Collins Richey wrote:
2
3 >On Mon, 3 Sep 2001 22:53:45 -0600 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
4 >wrote:
5 >
6 >>On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 08:50:54PM -0700, scott worley wrote:
7 >>
8 >>>My stupidity! Must load sd_mod.o to get scsi disk support.
9 >>>
10 >>Everything
11 >>
12 >>>works when I insmod in this order:
13 >>>
14 >>>scsi_mod, the scsi core
15 >>>sd_mod, scsi HD support
16 >>>sr_mod, scsi CD support
17 >>>aic7xxx, adapter driver
18 >>>
19 >>OK; this is also something that I can add to the build instructions.
20 >> My
21 >>test box is IDE, so I haven't been able to test this yet.
24 >Is there any reason you're not using modprobe (which is designed to
25 >resolve multiple module dependancies) instead of insmod for a specific
26 >list of modules?
27 >
28 The minimal rc6 iso environment only allows insmod. If you execute
29 modprobe it prints a message stating please use insmod.
30
31 The key is to check dependencies in the modules.dep file.
32
33 Also, the current rc6 iso does not have pppd present. I was able to
34 connect to the network by mounting my Vector linux partition and copying
35 pppd and wvdial to the gentoo partition. Wvdial requires libstdc++ so I
36 had to copy it into /mnt/gentoo/usr/local/lib. Plus, I was lucky that
37 the vector linux binaries would work in the gentoo environment.
38
39 So, I ended up loading the following modules before chrooting:
40
41 scsi_mod
42 sd_mod
43 sr_mod