From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LibreSSL import plan
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 13:48:04
1 On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 9:27 AM, Manuel Rüger <mrueg@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 19.09.2015 23:04, hasufell wrote:
3 >> Friends,
4 >>
5 >> I think it is time to import LibreSSL[0]. There are not many packages
6 >> left that don't compile OOTB and those can be patched (e.g. dev-lang/ruby).
7 >>
8 >> My idea would be:
9 >>
10 >> 1. import "dev-libs/libressl" (this will block dev-libs/openssl) and
11 >> introduce the global USE flag "libressl" with the following description:
12 >> """
13 >> libressl - Use dev-libs/libressl as SSL provider (might need ssl USE
14 >> flag), packages should not depend on this USE flag
15 >> """
18 > Devmanual says to discuss global useflags here before introducing them.
19 > IMO merely announcing them is not enough. See
20 > 288d8cd90fca12fafd021d86837851d8cb5c6efe.
23 ++
24
25 I'm not hostile to the proposed plan, but you should at least allow a
26 few days for things to settle down if we're not talking about security
27 patches/etc.
28
29 This isn't directed at anybody in particular, but I've been noticing a
30 bit of a recent trend towards wanting to discuss a change at all ==
31 bikeshedding for years -> time to pout and threaten to walk out. It
32 isn't really helpful. Gentoo is a fairly large project - this isn't
33 some little community of 5 developers who chat at the bar and then go
34 write their code.
35
36 Discussing change serves many purposes:
37 1. It provides notice of the change.
38 2. It is possible that others will notice something the authors missed.
39 3. It provides an opportunity for education. The way junior
40 contributors become senior contributors is by interacting with those
41 doing changes. That might mean making well-intentioned suggestions
42 that don't work.
43
44 SSL is pretty important, and over time I could see this becoming
45 bigger than kerberos/ffmpeg/etc. It makes sense to at least give this
46 change some thought. My concern with holding it up is that we don't
47 actually have a practical alternative that we can implement today, at
48 least not that I'm aware of. So, I'm more inclined to just let this
49 move forward and let somebody with a grandiose plan for managing
50 symbol collisions/etc to demonstrate it before holding everything else
51 up. But, if people have plans that work in either the short- or
52 long-term please speak up.
55 Rich