From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: EAPI specification in ebuilds
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 00:18:44
> Someone suggested using a standard shebang the last time this came > up, and if I remember correctly it was one of the least-disagreeable > solutions proposed. We could of course define our own custom format, > but I think something like,
> #!/usr/bin/eapi5
> would be perfect if we could hand off the interpretation of the > ebuild to that program. That solves the problem with new bash > features, too, since you could point that command at a specific > version.
Please note that I've formulated the specification in a way that accounts for this:
>> - The first line of the ebuild must contain the word "ebuild", >> followed by whitespace, followed by the EAPI, followed by >> end-of-line or whitespace.
This would also match the line "#!/usr/bin/ebuild 5" (if the magic word should be "ebuild" or "eapi" can be discussed of course). So even if we would introduce the shebang only in a later EAPI, previous portage versions would still recognise the new header. Ulrich