From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: i have an idea ! (erescue)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 11:33:28
1 On Mon, 16 May 2005 03:24:21 -0700
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Thus, my suggestion. Why not create a second feature,
5 > toolchain-buildpkg, I'm calling it here for purposes of
6 > developing the suggestion, that's on by default, as contrasted
7 > to the normal buildpkg being off by default.
8
9 There exists a "buildsyspkg" flag already, which is supposed to
10 build packages for ebuilds that are in the system group. It's
11 probably a bit broken tho (won't catch system packages
12 dependencies that are not explicitly in your profile's system
13 group, and also i don't think the version in portage resolves
14 virtuals).
15
16 If you're using portage HEAD, you can play with this patch too:
17 http://tdegreni.free.fr/gentoo/portage-20050323--custom_buildpkg.patch
18 It deprecates "buildsyspkg", and instead introduces a new
19 variable for user-defined policy about building binaries. Using it
20 with BUILD_PKGS="*" in make.conf gives a behavior similar to
21 the buildpkg FEATURES flag (keep binaries of everything), and
22 other rules are available too. For instance, i use:
23 BUILD_PKGS="system !sys-kernel kde-base kde-misc \
24 app-office/openoffice app-office/openoffice-ximian x11-libs/qt"
25 which makes it build binaries for system packages (but the ones
26 from sys-kernel), and also for kde and openoffice stuffs (because
27 they are slow to build so i don't want to revert them from
28 sources if they break). This patch should handle system virtuals
29 fine (although the code organisation is not really nice), but
30 still doesn't track system dependencies.
31
32 > With such a feature, and with it on by default, another
33 > make.conf parameter would then be useful as well. Call it
34 > binver-depth, and set binver-depth=3 in make.globals. Then,
35 > when three versions of the binpkg are reached, it would delete
36 > the oldest one as it created a new one, thus leaving two
37 > presumably known working backups at all times, even if the
38 > newest version it just created fails.
39
40 Better to keep that out of emerge imho, there exists some /usr/
41 portage/packages cleanup scripts already that you can add to your
42 crontab. An example is:
43 https://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=53397
44 (it doesn't have your "keep the latest 3 versions" policy tho,
45 but that could be added - I think i see how to do it, only taking
46 care of slotted packaged needs a bit of care). And there are
47 others similar scripts on f.g.o I think.
50 TGL.
51 --
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list